Sunday, November 06, 2005

National Stoner Day




(Originally written on April 20, 2005)


This is apparently National Stoner Day(or maybe it's International). 4/20 is actually the birthday of ol' Adolph Schickelgruber, known to the world of course by his nom de voyage of Adolph Hitler. So I guess at 4:20, both am and pm if possible I suppose for the optimum effect, stoners around the country(and possibly the world, who knows?), fire up a doob in 'celebration'.*

As one who has definitely partaken of the green and leafy at times in life, I can identify. But as one who now has a daygig, I pretty much have to watch from a distance. At 4:20 this a.m. I was sound asleep, and at 4:20 this afternoon I was still at work with 40 minutes to go. Green and leafy doesn't really fit into the day- unless it's lettuce on your sandwich for lunch..

I was born in 1954 and thus had the 60's intersect with my formative years. So I'm sure I have a few basic values that could be attributed to growing up then. Pot(or hashish) I don't consider a big deal. It's no more 'harmful' than beer or wine- indeed less so, though it can be abused- just like beer or wine. There are drugs out there that ARE nasty, pernicious substances: methamphetamine, heroin, downers, and others(and as such should be outlawed because they harm the users) - but I don't think pot falls into that category. Just like beer or wine, used responsibly(i.e. if you have a job, don't go in stoned; or be driving)I don't see it as a big problem. I'd legalize it, or at least de-criminalize it--BUT you'd still have to be over 21 to use it, and it would still be "yo' ass" if you went to your job stoned.

More and more companies these days, particularly the 'big dogs'(with much of the pressure coming from the Insurance Companies) are drug-testing their prospective employees, and some even randomly test their existing employees(from which of course a positive test result would change your employment status from "existing employee"). I have a big problem with this in that the employer is infringing on what I choose to do before 8:30am and after 5pm- which is something they have no right to do(if so, let them PAY my ass after 5pm and up until 8:30am the next day!). It IS my responsibility to be "substance-free" for the time they're paying me to be there working, I am down with that. But when it starts getting into my own time, that's something else. (This is almost a blog in itself).


Anyway. One big thing, which I probably don't need to say. No drug makes you play better(if one existed, we'd all be addicts). The greats(Charlie Parker, Jimi Hendrix, Bill Evans et al)played as they did despite the junk in their systems. I myself have written and played a great deal of music both cold sober and stoned on my ass, and listening back found little appreciable difference(unless alcohol figured into it, in which case things got sloppy). As a matter of fact I've had some of my best playing nights with no more than 7-Up in my system, and the real work in composing music was done also cold sober- with a cup of coffee.


At 18(in 1972)I learned Transcendental Meditation, which was big then(the Maharishi had some fairly well-known clients, among them The Beatles and The Beach Boys). . You had to be pot-free for at least 2 weeks to do the course--which, as an 18-year-old, took several tries-and have your parents sign for you if under 21. My Dad signed, reluctantly, thinking it was some kind of -don't-know-what-but-it's-your-life-kid.

Actually it was a real good thing, and I've done it ever since--well, off and on. Currently in an 'on' phase. It doesn't turn you into a Swami- I'm just as neurotic as I ever was(though I worry much less about my neuroses)- but its practice does have a beneficial effect on one's health just as physical exercise. It helps. And the initial effect of it was(strangely enough) much like a pot high in that your senses were definitely heightened, but with more continuity than the pot experience.If I were to take any kind of anti-drug stance here, it wouldn't be because I think 'drugs are bad'. That's categorical, (usually)right-wing bullshit. Some drugs, like some booze, are relatively mild(again, used responsibly), others ARE nasty and should be outlawed. No, the only argument I'd have against drugs(i.e. the mild stuff)is that- whether it's through Meditation or Tai Chi or what have you-a much better goal is to be high rather than get high.


Happy stoner day.



* Oh yeah. What the hell is being celebrated here?! Or is that just a stoned thing....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home