Friday, May 04, 2007

Get Me Outa Here!


Always glad to see the work-week over and done with. The people I work with are, by and large, a good bunch of mixed nuts, a diverse and incongruous group of folk, and I get paid okay--well, it still seems like a lot to a musician-who-had-to-finally-get-a-daygig-at-some-point-in-his-life. And our duties aren't really that awful.

But it's still- work. It's something I'd just as soon not do if I didn't need the money. Well okay, let's get real here. Something I'd stop doing the minute I didn't need the money. But, like most folks out there, I need that mo-nay. So there I sit, 37.5 hours a week, every week. Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm.

Friday afternoon is probably the thorniest patch o'time to get through because it's the final stretch. It's 2 in the afternoon, with 3 more hours left . "Let's get this day over with", the person who works next to me keeps saying. She's fidgeting a bit, getting antsy. I'm fidgeting and getting antsy. And the fidgeting antsiness just spreads from there, like a clerical flea circus, to where you have several rows of people just exuding antsiness. And fidgeting to boot. I'm afraid surgery is out of the question, it's spread throughout the whole body. Stage 4 Fidgeting Antsiness Syndrome.

Normally food helps combat this Friday affliction or whatever the pathology du jour. We have a "food shelf", centrally located, which is usually replete with candy and mixed nuts but was barren today , save for the candy nobody wants. The crummier sweets that don't get picked to be on anybody's 'junk food team", just left on the bench to rot. So people just had to tough it out this afternoon, without the sugar(or salt) high to carry them through. Oh well.

Anyway! All that shit is over and done with for the time being. The end of one cycle and the beginning of another one(albeit, alas a much smaller cycle). I do like being at the top of the weekend cycle, Friday night, with 2 days ahead. I wish it could always be Friday night, with 2 days ahead. Always at the top of this particular cycle anyway.

Well at least for now it's Friday. As one guy who worked in our office used to say every Friday as he signed out on our time sheet, "another week closer to retirement". As far as daygigs, I had one for 3 months, another for 4 and a half years, and my present one for 16 years. My targeted retirement date is September of 2014, 7 years and 3 months away. We'll see. Could be on the near side, probably the far side but not by much if at all.

It's in the distance but I am looking forward to retirement. With no more Monday mornings to deal with, all the days will run together. Sorta like moving someplace where there's no Winter, no real contrast in the Seasons. Probably a strange feeling at first, but I'm sure there are worse sensations.

On that note it's time to pack it in for the evening. Damn, guess I'm a bit further down in my weekend cycle.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home