Sunday, March 18, 2007

In Vino Veritas

Remember the line from the movie Airplane- it was a running, recurring gagline- from I think the Lloyd Bridges character throughout the show: "Guess I picked a bad week to quit smoking/drinking/smoking weed/sniffing glue"?

Well over this weekend, that's been me. St Patrick's Day being yesterday and this being basically St Patty's Weekend, I picked a rotten time to give up beer.

What I should have done was had my fill of the barley--green or otherwise--this weekend and then proceeded with my noble resolve. But then there's always some reason to sabotage your resolutions, so it's best to just move from where you are. No matter how "rotten" your timing may be..

Why give up beer? Well, two reasons.

#1: It tends to accumulate around one's middle. If you don't have a lot of room to you vertically, this characteristic is all the more pronounced. The beer has noplace to go but sideways.
#2:If consumed during the week, has the ability to lead to that one-more-beer, which ends up keeping you up later than you should be up(false energy), then makes the next day that much moldier--whether you get an actual hangover from it or not. Too much of a roller coaster as far as--well really your whole outlook on things.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least so far. Mainly I'd like to lose some of that cerveza-fueled spare tire. Like the buxom girl, I haven't seen my feet in awhile..

Enjoying a glass of wine while writing this. Before my beer-drinking days I used to enjoy wine, particularly Liebfraumilch. Yeah, I know--you can get just as stoopid drinking wine as with beer, only I like to think it's a more refined stoopid. At least it has less belly-expanding potential than the cerveza.

Well, we'll just have to see how it goes. The main thing is just losing some of the avoirdupois around the middle. I'm okay as far as controlling the substances I enjoy(i.e. beer n' wine et al). Moderation in all things- including moderation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home