Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Toasty Relief

Ahh. It always feels good to come in the house after being outside on a cold day freezing your ass off. The toasty warmth envelopes you and thaws the icicles from your poor shivering carcass as you bask in the --relief. As a matter of fact, I'm remembering a December, around the 7th(my personal Pearl Harbor day)suffering the cold house/failing furnace blues, and upon the rectification of that particular situation(hm, a bit stilted aren't we here?) wrote a song called "Toasty Relief".

I was just so damn happy to finally get heat back in the house, to be relieved of my pain and suffering in the cold.

Whatever we didn't have, or had taken away from us, it feels great to recover, to get it the hell back. I'm just remembering, and from several decades past, the pronouncement of a friend of mine(older than myself and considered himself more spiritually advanced, for whatever the hell that's worth now..). "Life IS", he said. "We have sadness when joy is taken away, and joy when sadness is taken away".

Having just emerged from a nasty Winter Storm which rendered tens of thousands of folks without power, some for over a week, you feel like your life was taken away and restored. I myself was luckier than some, less fortunate than others, but remember the intense sense of RELIEF I felt upon finding my house once again a toasty place.

One thing these adversities do for you though, is make you that much more prepared. I am set with candles, a flashlight and a pretty good space heater for a power outage in more temperate weather or a failing-furnace situation(having experienced these situations), but probably would do well to have some stuff like a generator or at least a kerosene heater, in case Mother Nature gets all pissed off again this Winter.

This was not my first Winter Storm by any means, but the first one to do this kind of damage. For me it was like getting hit with one big punch and then a couple grazing ones. The big shot was losing power in the house and the little shots were car trouble and no cable or Internet for awhile.

So with the blows taken, I've been experiencing a series of "toasty reliefs" as the problems are solved: heat & light in the house(day 2), new rubber on the van(day 4), TV & Internet back in action(day 11). It just feels so good having the sadness taken away.

With that, the Winter Storm of Dec 1 fades, becoming only a bad memory. So I guess it's onto other problems and challenges and their- toasty relief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home