Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sunday phun




Liv er en lort smørrebrød, og hver dag er en anden mundfuld. Men mere brød har du, mindre lort smager du.


Okay, translated: life is a shit sandwich and every day is another bite. But the more bread you have, the less shit you taste. Not sure who made this statement in the first place. Maybe it was Søren Kierkegaard.

Just kidding, even though it's written in his language--and hopefully rigtig as far as the grammar and all that. Where I work we have several multi-lingual folks. One speaks Czech, Spanish and German, another Italian,and several others have some Spanish under their belts.

I had two years of French in college, from which I barely squeaked by, and of which I remember un peu at best, and a year of German which I flunked out of. A few years ago there were a series of weird-ass movies on the Independent Film Channel from Denmark and Sweden, and I ended up copping some from their respective languages. Somehow it goes better when it's not required(as were French and German), this business of learning different tongues.

Personally I find foreign language cooler n'shit. I love the diversity of sounds and rhythms and accents you find in the world's tongues. Some fall right under one's one tongue and others seem more like Martian--and you kinda wonder how the hell they understand each other!

I do wish now that I'd buckled down more as far as learning French and/or German when I had the opportunity. It would be nice to be fluent in another language, to be able to communicate in a whole other tongue. But at least I do know a few things, and thanks to a couple of my co-workers(particularly the one who can speak Czech, German and Spanish)I keep what little I know alive.

Plus I've learned a few words & phrases in Czech. Maybe I'll even get enough under my belt to translate the phrase at the top of this blog into Czech. I remember just enough French to get it started, but would have to use a dictionary for most of it.

Life is a shit sandwich and every day is another bite. But the more bread you have, the less shit you taste. Hmm, wonder who did come up with this one, if it wasn't Kierkegaard. Maybe it was Jean-Paul Sartre.

La Vie et un merde croissante,...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home