Thursday, January 23, 2014

Leave it to Bieber

I'm getting tired of this kid. Well, not just him, but the whole lot of celebrities-behaving-badly. Whenever this happens, everything else is put on hold while we're forced to watch. 

  Some years back, I was playing a gig which was pre-empted by the (in)famous OJ Simpson car chase. We had to stop playing so the patrons of this fine establishment(who, let's face it, weren't really there to hear us anyway!)could watch the action. I guess if we had a banjo player in the band, they might've had us provide some sort of Smokey and the Bandit accompaniment. But we were forced to sit on the bench. After all, OJ is a Celebrity. 

Just now a news show(MSnbc), which I'm watching a lot these days-strange for a person with an 'aversion' to Politics)was similarly pre-empted. Andrea Mitchell had to interrupt a former State Rep talking about the NSA to bring us the much-more-important story of Justin Bieber being arrested- and for seemingly the umpteenth time. And there was no injustice angle whatsoever(which may have given the story something besides his celebrity to justify its being sandwiched in), it was something he should have been arrested for. This is not just some loudmouthed kid being hauled in for dragracing(or was that a former charge?Actually I really don't give  a shit..)and possession of Cocaine. This is, after all, a Celebrity. 

If I were his age and looked like that, I'd probably act up a bit myself- though I'd hope not to that extent. Now this is presuming I'm still me in all this, in which case I'd still be a guitar player and not a singer. Well for one thing, I'd play a hell of a lot more gigs than I do now, because those gigs would have girls at them, many of whom(since I looked like that)would want to meet me. 

But I digress. We'll always have spoiled celebrities acting up and monopolizing the airtime that really should be devoted to something more important than their piggish proclivities. And I'll probably resent it the next time it happens. Life goes on. Another blog. 

We'll see if his 15 minutes are up. I really don't care either way. But I do think June should have a talk with him. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home