Thursday, January 12, 2006

Brave New Year

Well I guess this is the first blog of '06. Five years and twelve days into the 21st Century. I make New Year's resolutions every January, but end up forgetting them as I get deeper into the year. Maybe they take care of themselves on an unconscious, below-the-surface basis, without my conscious intervention, or maybe they just splatter on the floor like a sack of wet noodles- only to be cleaned up and re-attempted the following January. I still do 'em every year's beginning though, whatever their fate for the remaining 11 months.

If you think about it, life is really nothing but a bunch of cycles, a collection of patterns endlessly repeating themselves: the 7-day cycle of the week, the four-part cycle of the seasons, the 12-month cycle of the year, the cycle of birth-and-death(if you believe along those lines), lunar cycles, menstrual cycles, reproductive cycles..Lotsa cycles. You can set your goals anytime of course, but it's always easier at the beginning of some kinda cycle: on Monday, or in January. There's still all that promise in there. Still kinda young kinda wow. Not too old yet(that is, within that particular cycle). Everything ages, at least within itself.

Oh wow, that statement is so, like, five minutes ago...

So what am I resolving for this year? Actually I think it's much the same stuff as last year: less beer consumption, more exercise, more practicing, not let things bother me, maybe meet a woman I really like and who likes me(that can be the tricky part, the reciprocity: seems like all too often, one of you is the 'liker' and the 'likee' just ain't biting..). Pretty mundane stuff, stuff most anybody would put on their blog if they were fool enough to have one of these sites.

Well, a year later I still consume more beer than I probably should, and exercise a LOT less than I would do well to. But a lot less bothers me- still aways to go there, but I have progressed in that area.. I don't practice as much as I should either, but I have 11 and a half months to work with here as far as getting my shit together. And I have at least met a couple of women and went out with one a little bit this summer, though I still haven't met one I really like who really likes me.

Maybe this will be the year for that. Eleven and a half months remain, so we'll see.. Well, regardless, I hope to still have some fun this year, to play and write and record all kindsa new music and like that. And maybe in January of 2007, when I'm making the same old resolutions I'll be able to say I made some more headway in one area or another..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home