Sunday, May 06, 2007

cheezsnack time=throne time


I must remember this simple truth, this simple formula for gastric happiness.

Saturday is a day I wait for all week, from Monday on(actually I'm kinda jonesing for next Saturday already!), because it's my one totally unstructured day. I get up when I please and go to bed when I please, and basically do as I please for all points in between.

Sometimes these Sacred Saturdays are spent practicing guitar, always a healthy pursuit. Other times they're spent doing home recording, an even healthier pursuit--or at least more cathartic. Many times they're spent between the computer and the TV, with often a fair junk-food consumption in the latter setting.

One thing I've always had a weakness for in this world, besides buxom women, is cheese-flavored snacks. When I was on the road, some 20-odd years ago I used to like to have some sort of cheese cracker affair--referred to by our bandleader as "cheese plugs", as I suppose what the stuff does to your arteries.

Cheezits, particularly the Cheddar Jack and White Cheddar varieties, have long been a staple of the TV viewing experience, likewise Cheez Balls(which I think was the very snack to inspire the "plug" sobriquet). Of late it's been Cheetos.

On a particularly indolent Saturday, amid the sounds of everybody else's lawn mower or other equipment, when I'm catching lotsa DVDs, I'll put away a whole bag of Cheetos without much fuss. The more viewing, the more junkfood consumption.

I suppose it's not unlike binging on anything else, be it drink or smoke or any other substance one may ingest into himself. At this point in life, I'm pretty moderate with drinking, having a few beers throughout the week, but the junkfood can get away from me.

Well I don't get hangovers anymore since I don't drink that much--not for a LONG time actually, more years than I can remember. But I do get junkfood-hangovers if you can call them that: an hour or two sitting on the throne the following morning moaning and groaning until everything passes. Had one just this morning. Not fun. And, like after a booze hangover, you say to yourself 'never again'.

So after this, the umpteenth cheez-snack hangover, I've resolved to watch my eating. Just like I watch my drinking. Damn, as you get older, seems like you gotta watch all kinds of stuff. At this point in life, working 5 days a week, it's more important how you feel the next morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home