Saturday, January 31, 2009

Long-ass week, long-ass month


Well it's been a long-ass month what with taking a new job, working it for a less-than-happy two weeks and then returning to my old one. My ephemeral career as Revenue Analyst 2 , comparable to the life span of a fruit fly or Hotel Food & Beverage Manager(this is probably only funny to musicians who book gigs in such establishments)or perhaps Trini Lopez in The Dirty Dozen, is barely a page in this chapter, but was necessary in satisfying a curiosity about what goes on up there. So ultimately a happy month of course, but all the same, the changes kind of take it out of you. You feel them cumulatively(at least I do!)at the end of all the activity. One big wallop.

So, yes. A long-ass month. Whew!

And this has been a long-ass week, to top it all off. Why? Well, for starters, every day was just cold enough to make it uncomfortable at work. Plus the 4-day proceedings of the Impeachment Hearing of our now former Governor.

The normal programming of the classical music show on NPR was pre-empted every day by the trial from Monday through Thursday. Most everybody else was riveted to the proceedings, but I really would've preferred having the regular fare of classical stuff going while I was working.

My disengagement from the whole thing reminded me of a story I'd heard while a college student. Mozart, according to this account, lived in Paris for a time during the French Revolution, and out of all the letters back to his family in Salzburg, none of them mentioned the political and social climate of the day. He just talked about what tunes he was working on! "Yeah, I've just completed an Opera. There was some noise outside my window all day, but I managed to tune it out!".

Given Mozart's dates(1756-1791)and those of the French Revolution(1789-1799), the story is probably apocryphal, but it is a good musician story and I saw myself in it as well. We just want to work on our tunes..

Actually the whole trial held a lot more interest for me after work, and I was following it much more closely on the TV news and Internet. And, as a gov't employee, it was quite a sight seeing his name scraped off our front door on Friday.

And finally as an Illinoisan, I did like the speech given by our new governor on Friday. Naturally his stance and policy are going to be antithetical to that of the previous administration, so that was an expected part of things- the talk of returning integrity to state government and the cessation of pay-for-play, quid pro quo politics.We'll just see how he delivers. At least he's actually going to live in the Governor's Mansion, unlike his predecessor.

No doubt more cold weather awaits us in February before Old Man Winter is done kicking us around for the year. But at least the trial is over. I'd rather listen to Mozart while I'm working. Maybe even something he wrote(allegedly anyway!)during the French Revolution, his Muse trying her damndest to drown out the noise from outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home