Sunday, January 22, 2006

Productivity

I got a call today to sub on a gig coming up in March. All well and dandy. Looking forward to playing it, should be fun. In the course of the phone message, the person hiring me was kidding around about my bio(which mentions the different places I've sold CDs to online--hey, numbers are numbers even if it's just one!)and the number of CDs I put out.


This is one thing I seem to be noted for, besides having weird song titles. The productivity thing. My phone message today mentioned something about my turning out a new CD every 6 weeks. Allow me to set the record straight here.


I turn out a new CD every fifteen minutes.


That's right. I have just a little over five million different CDs out at the moment... In an evening I can do 12 new CDs, and over a weekend I can put out 50 new CDs. Sometimes I can put out a new CD over my lunch hour, though it's tough what with having to feed my dog and cat and myself at the same time.


Well okay. Going off the deep end a bit here. But I have been insanely prolific at times as far as writing as well as recording , churning out reams of music. Then again you look at some of the classical composers as far as output, finding both extremes: Haydn with 104 Symphonies, Vivaldi with 500 some-odd Concerti, and then Brahms with his 4 Symphonies and 4 String Quartets.. Who's to say what's "insanely" prolific and what falls within the realm of sanity? They were as prolific as they needed to be.


Writing all that's inya to write is just great. The only caveat I can see here would be to avoid writing the same Symphony 104 times or the same Concerto 500 times! Or for that matter, even 4..


Another thing about productivity. I dunno about others, though I'd assume they have some similiarities to myself, but I definitely have my "off" periods as well as my "on" phases. Seems like they need each other really. There was one schoolyear(1979)where I couldn't seem to come up with SHIT as far as writing any new music for the whole year--and I was a music composition major-- until that summer, and then I couldn't write it down fast enough. And I remember one gig some years back, a little 2-hr thing, where I had NO CHOPS until about the last 3 tunes-and then I had plenty of facility.


That's the thing about one's Muse(or at least mine). She's a capricious chick--though aren't they all..


So, spirit willing, I'll continue to turn out new tunes and new CDs. Maybe not every 15 minutes, but a new CD or two this year. I do have a lot of stuff though as far as music written- a near-insane amount, by some standards...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home