Sunday, August 20, 2006

Sunday Night Blues

After a week and a day away from the office--10 days all told, counting the weekend(s)--I'm going back in the morning. Always a creeped-out feeling anyway having to go back to work and resume the daily/weekly grind, but perhaps especially so this time, having had a long respite.

Monday morning, at least where I work, is always a somewhat chilling experience. It's not the other people I work with. By and large, they're fine, and are usually pleasant to deal with, even first thing in the morning. And our bosses are reasonable folk. No,it's the actual work that's harrowing: phones ringing, people bitching on the other end, people bitching in our lobby. People bitching first thing in the morning, by whatever medium available.

Sorta like a Minneapolis Winter. If you survive Monday morning, you've usually taken the worst the week has to offer. Though any day can take on all the horror of the busiest Monday morning, depending on what comes through the door or through the phone lines.

Like all too many people in this world, I work a job that has nothing to do with what I went to school for or thought I'd be doing for a living. So I have my "job", and then I have my "life" which includes what I 'really' do: play & write music---and, yes, write the occasional blog. And thus, though I try and make the best of the "job", I'm kinda waiting for it to be over so I can get on with my "life".

Waiting for 5 o'clock, waiting for the weekend, waiting for retirement. Like most everybody I work with. And like most everybody else, to properly digest the work-week, I break it down into smaller, more chewable pieces: Monday&Tuesday/get-it-done days; Wednesday/humpday; Thursday/almostfriday; Friday/tgif.

During this time off, I got to thinking about the whole work/play dichotomy and how to make the most of my energies. More focus, more discipline basically. Practice for at least an hour every night(again, like the workweek, small bites), and work on writing projects as well. If performed faithfully, this kinda thing tends to energize you, and thus the work-week takes a lot less out of your ass. Just a question of getting started, getting that momentum..

Sounds great on a Sunday night. Let's just see how it plays after a day back at work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home