Sunday, April 26, 2009

More cooking less nuking


I'll probably always love my Microwave. It became a main vehicle as far as feeding myself after getting divorced back in '93, and has served me well ever since. One comment I'll never forget in that time came from my friend Ed, who said, "gee Rog, it's a shame you're getting divorced. Now you'll have to learn how to order food."

Well, fortunately I did have the requisite food-ordering skills to carry me over into bachelor life. As it turns out, Domino's was a staple of our married life diet, so I just continued to utilize said skills, only in a 'single' capacity. . But as far as anything else, I did rely too much on the instant convenience of "puncture, heat 3 min, rotate, heat 1 more min, serve".

Unfortunately I have a stove that needs replacing, but I do have burners that work. And a skillet and several pots. So I'm rediscovering these old culinary vessels. I never was any kind of master chef, but before the days of microwave I could prepare some basic meals.

So I'm relearning a few things, re-acquiring some basic skills long forgotten in the E-Z convenience of the microwave. For one thing it's healthier. For another, there's something to be said in taking time to prepare, and thus enjoy, a meal. And finally, there are certain food items that just get lost in translation no matter what you do.

Eggs. And potatoes. The nuked version of either usually makes you feel like you're on the Amtrak. And thus not only do you get shitty food but you paid way too much for it!

So as resolutions go, this one--more cooking, less nuking--seems do-able. Note that I said less, not none. Given the very human proclivity towards backsliding(definitely my proclivity), I want to cut myself at least a little slack here. But yeah.

Thus far it's just been bacon and eggs. But then again, most of the contents of my refrigerator at this juncture involve that tell-tale initial puncture--the one that precedes heat n rotate. And serve. In other words, all nukeables. So the next trip to the grocery store will yield far more cookable items. I'm on a roll.

Okay, sorry for that one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home