Friday, November 09, 2012

If I Were an Englishman

If I were an Englishman, I think I'd like it if my name was Clive. Ah heck, even if it wasn't my given name I think I'd try to go by it, to have people address me as Clive

Clive. What a cool name. I also thought(and this is a deep second choice)it'd be something to be named Denis, but really only so I could make the joke in claifying the spelling, that it's "like penis only with a d". 

Clive Ulmer Roundly. CUR. That's a helluva monogram, particularly for a Brit(or wannabe-Brit). Well it beats, say, Clive Ulmer Monroe..

It's interesting how different cultures perceive one another. As an American, Clive strikes me as quintessentially British as names go(has that extra bit of propriety to it in the sound); the Brits in their TV and movies frequently use "Mike" for their tougher characters, American or not. Definitely attributable to us Yanks.  Perhaps if one of them were writing a blog titled, "If I Were an American"(probably with a subtitle something like 'perish the thought'), they might be named Mike. 

But regardless of whether it epitomizes a different culture or Weltanschauung, sometimes you just like the way something sounds. Clive. I just like the sound of it. And if I were English, it would be a pretty cool name to have, just for that reason. 

Now if I were Mexican.. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home