Monday, February 11, 2013

Harshmallow 216

On vanity plates, the number accompanying your bon mot(s) is, along with you,  how many other folks already thought of this--before your date of purchase, in RST(Retail Standard Time). So the 216 in this post is me plus how many others probably thought of harshmallow before I did. I mean, it was Googleable, for Christ's sake..

But it did originate in my head as an "original" idea. I was thinking earlier today about a deliberately vague post on my FB page(but with just a hint of foreboding, so as to plant a seed of discomfort). Nothing sinister, no nefarious agenda, just playfully harshing my mellow a bit. And I began to think of it in quantifiable terms, as to how you'd measure how much mellow was harshed, or how much  it would take to harsh someone's mellow. In this case a mild amount, somewhat analogous to dropping a marshmallow into someone's Cocoa(only in this case a malevolent marshmallow)

  And there you have it. I'd forgotten that it was actually Marshmallow instead of marshmellow(just like Elephantitis is really Elephantiasis), but it still holds. Those efforts on the part of others to discomfit us are harshmellows In a mild, playful sense(let's hope)like the FB post I got, they just tried to drop a harshmellow into my drink. You could, in a more extreme case, where one's efforts to cause you psychic ill carry more vitriol, they could be said to be baking you a Harshmellow Pie.

  Thankfully, most of the time, it's just a question of having something dropped into your drink. Been going on since the Big Bang. I remember a friend in High School who used to love to say to people, "gee, no wonder you don't have any friends", in a playful but quasi-serious tone, so as to make them secretly wonder if they didn't actually have any. This is not only dropping a harshmellow into their drink, but(for best results)giving it time to dissolve..

Well, waddyagonna do? When life gives you harshmallows, just soak 'em in your hot chocolate. Or roast the fuckers the way you would their 'benevolent' cousins. Either way they're zapped out of existence. This being the estimated 216th discovery of "harshmellow", I'm wondering if the other 215(or even this one!)are entertaining reading. Just how many different things can we say about marshmallows?  

Probably 3 or 4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home