Saturday, June 30, 2007

My Civic Duty


Well, I blew off the 5 year, the 10, the 15, the 20, the 25 and 30yr reunions but I did make my 35 yr High School Reunion. I've always figured that the folks I'd want to run into I would have by now, but there are a few who've fallen through the cracks as far as that goes, some I'd almost forgotten about but were and are still cool. So it was worth 2 hours of my Friday evening

Working as I do in a big noisy room full of people(many of whom have big problems, which we're trying to solve) often the last thing I want to do after my workday is go to another big noisy room full of people. Fortunately it was a relatively small room full of people and 2 hrs/3-4 Coronas was enough time and beer to devote to the event.

Really, the only reason I ended up going is that I got email from a few folks telling me they were going. Naturally, none of these folks were at the mixer, at least while I was there--figures that I'd miss the very people I went there to see. But, as I said, there are folks who've fallen through the cracks of conscious memory whom you had and still have a good time with. One of the more pleasant conversations I had was with somebody I have no recollection of from High School, but apparently knew me. It's a surprise who you end up running into.

And of course time does a number on many folks. Many were pretty much unrecognizable, sometimes for better sometimes for worse... I felt fortunate that except for a gut(which I am still working on)everything is still pretty much as it should be: got most of my hair and teeth and still look okay- at least in my own highly biased opinion.

I'd give it a 55. A moderately good time. Make the 40? Well, maybe- especially if they serve beer and it's at least sort of on the way home..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home