Saturday, August 11, 2007

Ground Level Zero


This is my third consecutive day away from the rigors of daygig. Well, okay, Saturday is a given, but I've still had two whole days of peace and quiet going on three. Two beers and working on that third. I once proposed marriage on two beers/working on a third. But that's another blog.

Yes there are more stressful places than the one I work in. The ER is more stressful. The County Jail or State Prison would be more stressful. (Well, those are bigger boo boo's..)But I do work in a fairly charged atmosphere. An often stressful atmosphere, relatively speaking. So it's always a good idea to try and leave all that at the office when you're away.

And I've noticed that the longer I'm away, the more tension is lifted- tensions I didn't think I had. You don't realize how much tension is in your body until you start to get rid of it..My alcohol consumption dwindles to one or no beers in a day, and I sleep like a log. Woke up this morning from a perfect night's sleep feeling completely relaxed and peaceful.

Sometimes it takes a good 48 hours just to do the basic 'airing out'. After week upon week upon week of work, your psyche gets like that pair of leather shoes that hafta just sit on the back porch for a spell. And then you're okay.

So I guess I feel like I hit a Ground Level Zero point this morning. Like the little sound your computer makes when it's cleaned out all the nasty infected files. That's the mark of a good vacation, to me. 4 more days to enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home